Thursday, June 01, 2006

Upsets @ The Roland Garros!


Okie, I was wrong yesterday when I thought that Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin should move through easily. I obviously was so blinded by the Greek-god-like looks of Safin that I didn't even realise he was playing the Chilean Fernando Gonzalez who is seeded No. 9. I had totally discounted the fact that Safin hasn't played for quite a while due to injury and that he could and should be rusty. And along that line, I cannot forgive myself for totally ignoring the presence of Fernando Gonzalez. I am ashamed.

As for Andy Roddick.. I was sorry he had to retire.. but on hindsight.. even if he wasn't carrying an injured ankle, he might not have made it.. (of course, he might also have).. 'cos his Spanish opponent Alberto Martin was pretty good yesterday that I had the feeling Andy might have been kinda outclassed. Oops.

Anyway, suffice it to say only Lleyton Hewitt lived up to his seeding.. ranking.. whatever you call it. And watching him play just kinda reminds me why I used to like him so much. Alright, I guess I still like him.. perhaps just not as much anymore. But what I like about him is that he's such a dynamic player on-court that it's pretty charismatic.. just like Rafael Nadal.. but Nadal is even more explosive. But I guess people will find Hewitt offensive comparatively since he doesn't seem very popular among the other players. Well, other than his on-court presence, I have to confess I have a thing for his legs.. his calves to be precise.. I find them very sexy, heheh. *blushes* I like that he wears long socks (well, longer than the other guys anyway) till his lower calves. Hewitt isn't superbly tall.. but that's what I like about him.. his height is just nice.. neither too tall nor short. Okie, I guess I like his build.. strong broad shoulders, great height, and sexy legs.. all these are enough to make up for his average looks. Gosh, I am so damned superficial! Alright, moving on...

Nadia Petrova - World No. 3, seeded 3, No. 1 Russian player. First major upset on the women's side. She was supposed to be one of the hot favorites coming into the French Open.. having only recently beaten Justine Henin-Hardenne and garnering three (or is it four?) titles already this year. Funny, but I never had her in mind as one of the title contenders.. it could be due to my ignorance about her play.. or I might have missed her out. Anyway, better luck next time Petrova. On second thoughts, actually I know why she wasn't in my consideration. Because in all the times I have watched her play.. as far as I can remember, she hasn't made an impression on me. She had always seemed uptight.. and I'm sorry to say this, but I don't quite like the look on her face when she plays.. she almost always looks sulky. Oops, my superficiality rearing its sneaky head again...

Venus is playing now. I'm gonna stop and come back later. Ciao.

(Photo taken from AP Photo/Michel Spingler)


No comments: