Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Svetlana Kuznetsova In Final Four!


After losing my current most favorite player Amelie Mauresmo in the Round of 16 at Roland Garros 2006, my next favorite player Venus Williams bowed out in almost similar fashion yesterday in the quarter-finals. Both were victims of the same player - Nicole Vaidisova, a young 17 year old from the Czech Republic. Needless to say, I don't quite like Nicole Vaidisova right now.. but I won't dwell too much on this.. though she definitely was the better player against both Momo and Venus. Sigh.

Svetlana Kuznetsova saved my day though. She and Kim Clijsters are the remaining two players on my favorites list who are still competing at the French Open. For Kim to be in the semis is hardly a surprise, I guess.. but honestly, for Kuzzie to have outlasted Momo and Venus is a great pleasant surprise for me.. and at this point in time, I must say I like it. Though Venus was taken out yesterday, Kuzzie more than made up for my disappointment by storming back into the match against Dinara Safina after being down 1-5 in the first set and winning the match in straight sets 7-6, 6-0.
I wasn't able to see Kuzzie's match as ESPN was showing Venus' match live, but I was following her scores live online and was dismayed to see her going down quickly against Safina during the first set. At 1-5, I was pretty much thinking to myself that Safina has got the first set in the bag already. And then surprise!, things turned around. Suddenly, 1-5 became 2-5, then 3-5, 4-5. Whoa, I was most astonished.. and at 5-5, it suddenly seemed like Kuzzie might well take the first set! And she did!

So now.. my hopes are pinned on Kuzzie to put away Vaidisova and do what Momo and Venus failed to do and reach her second Grand Slam final. And in the other semi-final, I'm rooting for Kim to defeat Justine Henin-Hardenne.. but while my heart is for Kim, my head tells me that JHH is more likely to triumph over Kim as the defending champion, plus JHH's really strong on clay.

Sigh, watching Grand Slam matches can be such an emotionally draining activity.



(Photo taken from AP Photo/Francois Mori)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still in the game?