Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Culinary Arts

I bumped into a long-lost friend yesterday on the streets. It felt great to see him again after so long... 14 years, to be exact. Chris was my classmate from secondary school. But he quit our school in Secondary 2, 'cos the whole family migrated. I didn't know where to then.. today I found out that 14 years ago, they had relocated to Vancouver.

Chris went on to study at The Art Institute of Vancouver after completing high school.. and dived into "the world of culinary arts". Culinary arts? What's that? Cooking? More than that, said Chris. He did a Diploma in Hospitality & Restaurant Management, as well as an Advanced Diploma in... okay, I forgot.. but as far as I can remember, it was definitely related to the culinary arts.

We spent the whole evening chatting away, and honestly, it was very interesting to hear him talk about the different cuisines of the world, the art of making pastries, and his fun in the kitchen. He's currently employed as a chef at The Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel, one of the finest I believe.. and I could sense his passion and love for what he's doing. He's enjoying himself there.. and still learning. He's currently back in town for holiday and to visit some relatives.. and "to check out the cuisines".

I had a very enjoyable afternoon learning about food, cooking, and Vancouver... and came back with a new appreciation for the culinary arts. Actually, as I'm writing this piece now.. I realise I'm merely rambling on.. there doesn't seem to be much substance in whatever I'm writing actually.. but I guess this is just my little way to commemorate a fine evening spent with a nice old friend.



No comments: