Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The "In" Thing

I've decided I don't wanna be writing about Google Cash, Affiliate programs, Google Adsense, HYIPs and Auto-surf programs all the time. There are more than enough sites and blogs around that are talking about all these and I'm definitely no expert here. So let's bring in more variety.. ;p

Well, buying property seems to be the "in' thing amongst my circle of friends these days. Nope, I don't have filthy rich friends, but I guess they're okay.. perhaps above average.. probably what one would term as yuppies. Just after Chinese New Year, my boss started actively looking at the classifieds, and calling up property agents to fix up viewing appointments. I had been with him to look at a couple.. and well, very interesting. :) The fad seems to have caught on, and suddenly, before I can cry "ouch", one of my closest girlfriends sprung up with the news that her boyfriend and her have bought a $900,000 condominium unit. Whoa... why haven't I heard her mention anything about looking at property in the first place?? Heh, I guess I can only attribute it to a woman's sudden whim or fancy. Afterall, buying property is pretty much like shopping, isn't it? Some women would do their research, compare prices, compare quality, then zoom in for the kill.. while others would simply adopt the "I see, I like, I buy" attitude.. swift and clean.. all in a day's work! Well, usually in less than a day.. ;p

Another piece of news from the grapevine.. another girlfriend and her husband have also recently bought a unit from a government-flat-turned-privatised-property with the hope of the development getting an en-bloc. Clever move for investment, I say.. the way I see it, chances are high. I would have comtemplated doing the same.

Yet another close friend and her girlfriend bought a private 1-bedroom unit recently, for investment purposes. They've plans to rent out the unit when it's ready, and with the property market poised for growth in the next few years, chances are high for capital appreciation. Already, industry analysts have predicted rental income to increase by some 5-6 percent in the 2nd half of the year. Another wise move, on paper at least, I say.

Well, seriously, what are the factors to consider when buying a property? I'm sure there are many many factors that would play a part but I'm no expert here, so my opinions are purely my own and not to be deemed in any way otherwise. For me, if it's private, it's definitely gotta be freehold. Location is very important too. If the property is for investment, it's gotta be located conveniently with good amenities and facilities within a stone's throw away. Bus stops, train station, a shopping mall with a good line of retail outlets, etc., would prove popular with potential buyers and tenants alike. Oh, and full-length windows overseeing a fantastic view would capture hearts too. But of course, what is deemed "fantastic view" in the eyes of one would differ in the eyes of another. Some people would love to have a home overlooking the sea, while others would love to have a bird's eye-view of the city lights and skyscrapers.

Perhaps one situation where amenities and even leasehold or freehold don't really matter is when the property is located in an exclusive high-class district. Note: high-class, not prime. Most times, these exclusive high-class districts are usually secluded, quiet areas with lots of landed property, where amenities are perhaps not exactly within walking distance, but wouldn't really matter anyway, 'cos the truly affluent ones (usually the rich, powerful and famous) living there drive and they would rather drive some distance for a mall or restaurant in exchange for some privacy and peace in their abodes.

Couple of weeks ago, I read in an online forum somewhere where there was an on-going discussion about property, how someone wrote that there's usually one "king" of all private developments in every area and how to go about sniffing this "king" out. Ahhh.. complicated stuff there, and that would be another topic for another day.. if that day ever comes.. ;p

No comments: