Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It Rained Glass Bits Yesterday...

Yeah, I was showered with bits of shattered glass last nite. I was at a friend's house in the evening, and as we were getting ready to leave, I decided to be nice and bring the glasses and cups into the kitchen instead of merely leavin them on the dining table. Bad move.

Jemmy's home was beautifully decorated.. the living room was lined with nice parquet tiles.. the dining area was created upon a platform and designed japanese-style such that the table was built-in in the middle and everyone merely sat down on the higher platform floor.. there was no need for chairs at all. The kitchen was separated from the dining area by a glass wall and glass door (think office-style), kinda open-concept, you could see exactly what was on either side.

So, with 2 glasses in my right hand, my left hand went to the door handle to pull the glass panel open. And in split seconds where I didn't even have time to breathe, there was a deafening roar of glass smashing, and the door that was right in front of me before crumbled to pieces right before my eyes. Well, actually it rained on me. The self-destruction was swift, one moment my hand was on the door handle, the next, my hand was grabbing thin air, and shattered glass pieces. And I was bleeding.....



My friends and Jemmy of course, witneses to the whole incident/accident.. said I was actually shining from a distance, hahahah. Glasses bits were in my hair, on my hands, on my clothes, underneath my feet. I guess I must look a glamorous mess. Miraculously, my face did not suffer any cuts; I escaped disfigurement. Actually, I was pretty fortunate, I only suffered some minor cuts on my left hand around the wrist area and the palm.. plus about 4 cuts on my right foot - sole and inner ankle area. The cut suffered on my right inner ankle was considerably the most stubborn and deepest, bleeding profusely enough to soak up one and a half wet tissues. This, plus the cut on my right big toe successfully stained my new sandals, hahahah.

Anyway, after spending some forty minutes apologising profusely for the damage I caused and cleaning myself and the home up, everyone finally managed to leave for home. Well, my wounds were still bleeding when I got home, and I did feel uncomfortable about the suspected foreign bodies that might have entered my body.. so I dropped by the A&E Department of Raffles Hospital, nearest my home. I barely had to wait, they cleaned up my wounds pretty quickly, gave me an anti-tetanus jab (ATT), wrote me a medical leave for 1 day and sent me on my way.

Some twenty hours later, the one thing that's causing me the most pain is from the ATT jab.. hahah. Oh, and not forgetting this throbbing pain I've been feeling on the back of the right side of my head since three days ago. Friends have told me it's migraine (oh my, I've never experienced migraine before and I certainly don't want to have it now or anytime soon), but the chinese physician I consulted today tells me that it's actually due to heatiness in my body.. and well, it kinda makes sense. I'm currently running a fever, feeling kinda delirious.. with a throbbing pain at the back of my head and a buzzing pain in my right ear.. and of course, the pain from my wounds.

Oh, and did I mention I have an exam this Friday? Bless me...


tags : | | | | |

3 comments:

Dilip Mutum said...

First time here. Sorry to hear about your accident.
Now that should be a lesson to all of us to put tint the glass doors inside the house. At least we can see it and even if it breaks, there will be no shattering of the glass everywhere.

bluelfie said...

hi, thanks for dropping by. :)
yeah, tint is a great idea.. but too bad, i've become glass-door-phobic already.. today, i just walked thru' another glass door with absolute suspicion wondering if it'll collapse on me again, hahahah.. guess it takes time.. :)

Anonymous said...

It also rained in Romania, a lot with bits of ice of course.